Australia & New Zealand Education Law Association (ANZELA) was established in 1991 with the aim of bringing together academics, legal practitioners, educators and others who have an association with and/or interest in Education Law and legal issues affecting education. The Association is incorporated under the Australian Corporations Legislation and managed by a number of Directors. The Board of Directors is elected at the Annual General Meeting, which is usually held in conjunction with the Association’s Annual Conference. A number of Chapters have been established and now operate in Queensland, Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia and New Zealand. The Association has members in all other Australian States and Territories and the intention is to establish Chapters in all states and territories.
The Objectives of ANZELA are to:
- Promote and encourage research, study, discussion, writing and/or dissemination of information about issues on laws relating to education;
- Organise and stimulate participation in conferences and meetings on the laws relating to education ;
- Promote publication, publish or cause to be published articles, newsletters, journals and other literature for the purpose of these objectives;
- Co-operate and exchange information with bodies (corporate or otherwise) and persons, on the laws relating to education;
- Affiliate with like associations; and,
- Develop policies on the laws relating to education.
Download / view the ANZELA Constitution
A National Conference is held annually. Details of this year’s conference is available on this site. Each Chapter conducts seminars at a local level relating to issues, which are current in their jurisdictions. See the information on the individual Chapters on this site for further information.
The Association also publishes the international academic journal, Australia and New Zealand Journal of Law and Education. This journal is published approximately twice a year. More details regarding this journal are provided on this site. Local Chapters sometimes provide other publications. All members receive these publications as part of their annual membership subscription.
A Membership Application Form can be downloaded from the Membership page. GST does not apply to people applying for membership from overseas.
If you have any enquiries about ANZELA you should contact any member of the current committee of the Association, or the contact person of your local Chapter. Contact details for these people are provided on this site.